Monday 11 May 2009

Phase #2 of the light series: SHINJUKU, TOKYO!!!!!

The next installation of the lights series is Shinjuku!!!


Shinjuku Station south exit - (Hold your mouse down on this image and move around the square the pan around the location. Also if you right-click, you can change the type of view. Stereographic is fairly cool)


This city appeals to me in general, the technology, the culture...etc. I'm being blasé about it because the my main attraction and reason for wanting to go there is the NIGHT LIFE!!!



I think there is a reason for it being called the Night Life, a term the best describes me because - in these surroundings - I come to life at night.
Set aside the fact that Shinjuku is the capital redlight district in Tokyo, the thing that appeals to me is the architecture. The high rise buildings with the luminous advertisement pasted on the side of buildings and cars and everything else with a power supply.
The flourescent neon atmosphere, the bright LED culture, the static night life. I'm like a solar pannel, powered by this artificial light. The colours, the brightness, the electricity, the contrast!!!
The contrast! The contrast! The contrast! The vivid silhouettes that the LED's create along the side of buildings and along the roads and streets. The shadows cast behind us as we stare directly at a strobing billboard. Video banners above shop door. 15ft supspended behind glass windows, 30 stories high....ya get me now???







(Check out the Natural Light post from this series. To find out the purpose behind this blog post, Click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment